Minor in Dance
Dance minors have the option of choosing an emphasis on Technique & Performance; Creative Process & Choreography; or World Cultures in Dance.
Program Requirements and Policies
- The Minor in Dance requires a minimum of 6 DNC/TPS courses (15 credits) plus 1 DNC Production Practicum (1 credit).
- Dance Program Special Topics courses may fulfill the below required areas. Contact Program Director, Jaclyn Waguespack, for further information regarding special topics courses and requirements.
Required for all Dance minors is a minimum from the following areas of study:
- 4 Credits/2+ courses: Genre Specific Techniques
(includes Afro-Haitian Dance, Breaking/Hip Hop, Contemporary Ballet/Jazz/Modern, Kathak, T'ai Chi, Tap, other Special Topics)
- 2 Credits/1+ courses: Creative Process
(includes Dance Repertory & Performance, Dance Movement & Creative Process, Studies in Dance Composition, Choreographer's Workshop, and Special Topics in Dancemaking & Devised Performance)
- 5 Credits/2+ courses: Area of Specialization and Electives
(may include courses from the TPS catalog with permission; may also include 1 Pass/Fail Dance Performance Practicum)
- 3 Credits: Capstone Project - DNC 192.01 Dance Research Project
(Senior capstone project, either a research paper, or choreographic work with accompanying short paper)
- 1 Credit: Dance Production Practicum
Production assistance on one Fall OR Spring Dance Program Concert (includes front or back of house crew hours approx. 13-17 hours over 5 days).
- Optional Credits: An additional full credit minimum in the area of Dance History or Research is strongly recommended, though not required.
Declaring a Dance Minor
Students interested in declaring a Dance minor may do so at any point in their academic studies at Tufts. Interested students should arrange a meeting with Program Director, Jaclyn Waguespack, to plan a proposed course of study in the minor and to fill out a Dance Minor Declaration Form.
For further information contact: Jaclyn Waguespack, Lecturer and Incoming Director of Tufts Dance Program